THE 174 TRUST has been functioning in North Belfast – by far the most segregated and divided (and sadly still at times violent) part of a troubled city for almost thirty years. For half that period our work has been based in a suite of buildings formerly occupied by a Presbyterian Church – the neighbourhood having undergone a demographic shift is now 100% Catholic.
Informed and motivated by a Christian ethos, the 174 Trust has created a neutral venue – a space shared at the former church by both Catholics and Protestants for a variety of purposes and activities.
Employing 17 people (full and part time) we operate four projects:
- 18 place Preschool Playgroup (2-4years)
- 18 place Afterschool Club (4-11 years)
- Disabililty Project with clubs for kids, teens and adults as well as two Young Carers groups
- CONNECT Youth involving young lads (11-16 years) from either side of the local interface that divides the Protestant and Catholic communities
In addition, we partner with a number of autonomous groups – meeting a variety of needs:
- Pathways (Alternative Education Programme for excluded young people)
- Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-Anon (Family Support Group)
- Aspergers Support Group (Family Support Group)
- Youth Club for Young People with Aspergers
- Adult Aspergers Group
- Irish Language Nursery School
- McCracken Cultural Society
- Headway (Therapy group for people with head trauma injuries)
- Speechmatters (Therapy group for stroke victims)
- Older People’s Social (Saturday night social)
- Parent & Toddler Group
- Belfast Amateur Boxing Club
- Community Physio
- Freshwater Christian Fellowship
Trust Director and Senior Staff are also actively involved in a number of other city-wide initiatives ranging from social housing and peacemaking efforts to health and disability issues.
Given our track record over thirty years working with young people, community groups and former combatants “Building Peace and Promoting Reconciliation’ we bring considerable experience to TRIPLE V – a programme we are committed to and, we are convinced, can deliver real change in attitudes and actions across Europe.